Thursday, May 20, 2010

.On what changes us

*photo by Mark Mabry
At a seminary teacher in-service a few months ago we watched a video that Brother Patrick brought to share with us. It was on the Reflections of Christ photographic art by Mark Mabry. If you haven't already been to an exhibit or heard of it, its basically just these amazing photos of gospel stories. We have millions of paintings and illustrations; but for me, when I look at the photos of real people, it really comes to life.
So much more.

This photo at the top is one of Christ in the Americas after he was resurrected. He chose twelve disciples from among the people. At the beginning of the series of photos there is one image showing Christ calling the men to be his disciples. They all looked so different and unorganized. Some of them may have been dirty and working all day, some of them may have had family problems, some of them may have been stressed about their children, some of them may have been poor or some very wealthy. They were all coming from different backgrounds.

Near the end of the series of photos there is another image of the twelve men. After they have been taught the gospel and ministered to by Christ himself. They look like a totally different group of men. They are all clean, they all look happy and peaceful, and what stood out most to me was the fact that they were all wearing white. A symbol of purity.

They had changed completely.


*photo by Mark Mabry

That's what I believe living the gospel can do for us.

When I think of the most miserable of people, in the most dire of circumstances, with problems and issues and difficulties and sadness. I think of what the gospel can do for them. It can do the same thing it did for Christ's disciples. We can become something new and pure. It can bring peace and happiness to our lives. Everyone can have the same peace that Christ and his disciples had, but so many people push it away. There are even a lot of members of the church who don't have this kind of peace that's being offered to them from Christ.

I'm still learning to accept it for myself and become a changed person... there are just so many distractions. But I know that I won't be done becoming a better person and going through the refiners fire until I'm so pure that you can look at my face and see Christ's image shining back.

I have a feeling that won't be for a very long time.


**Don't steal. I absolutely stole these photos
from the Reflections of Christ website.
They're so beautiful I couldn't help myself.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

LOVE this post:)

mommaquincy said...

That's cool. You aren't stealing, just sharing and inspiring others to see his art!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...