Saturday, September 19, 2009

.roadsinger

Maybe it's something about the home I was raised in. My seven older brothers and sisters especially. But I have always had a very deep love and appreciation for music. Good music. Especially music that is typically reserved for people a few years older than myself. I grew up listening to Bread, Simon and Garfunkel, The Beatles, Cat Stevens, about a million 80's pop bands, classical music, and oldies of course. I love it all.


A few months ago I was pleasantly surprised that Cat Stevens is making a comeback into the public eye. Whatever name he goes by now, I still love his music...
{And for those wondering- he changed his name to Yusuf Islam}


When Air and I were driving home from Utah last month we came across the song "You Make My Dreams Come True" by Hall and Oates. It's such a fun, upbeat song that we decided we'd never get sick of listening to it. We made a pact then and there that we would listen to that song and that song alone in the car until we couldn't stand it any longer. That was over three weeks ago and we're still going strong!

What an accomplishment, right? :)


Music is so great! Music can make me feel happy or peaceful or comforted... any kind of emotion really. I love how hearing a certain song can bring me back to a place and time in my life. Some songs strongly represent people who I know/have known. When I hear the song it's almost like I'm with that person again. How does that happen??
For example: whenever I hear "Rhapsody In Blue" by George Gershwin, I think of my Dad. That's probably his favorite song. He used to put it on surround sound as loud as it gets, turn out all the lights in the house, sit back in his reclining chair, and just lay there with his eyes closed as if he were absorbing the beautiful classical melody.

My Dad is awesome.




I also love new music, though. My favorite type of music is indie (short for independent). If you want to hear some of my fav music you can scroll to the playlist on my blog and push play. I'm always adding to it.
{I've also got the Hall and Oats song on there, close to the bottom, for those interested}

Hope you enjoy!


.

1 comment:

mommaquincy said...

I'm glad you love the oldies! My kids do, too. As for Cat Stevens new song, its okay, but I really like his oldies better. You can't beat "Morning Has Broken". That was cool to read about your Dad. I had no idea he was such a music appreciater!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...