Thursday, December 10, 2009

.New Creature

20091202 sister nicole's edit

I don't know what it was about this little dinner we had at Sister Nichol's house last week. But ever since then I have seriously been looking at my life and my calling a little bit differently.

Sister Nichol is a really sweet, really cute, really little, older lady in our ward. She invited Air and I to come to dinner at her home with the missionaries. Holy wow! I had no idea how proper and polite someone could be! (Okay, maybe I did... she is pretty much exactly like my Grandma Leary in Utah)

When we sat down at the table the first thing we noticed was the fact that we each had 3 plates in front of us. I think that’s the very same moment that Air and I panicked a little. What are these for? What do I do with so many plates? Sister Nichol said something like “Oh don’t worry if you don’t know what all the plates are for.” So Air relaxed and grabbed a roll and placed it on the plate directly in front of him… big mistake! Sister Nichol quickly corrected him, “Don’t put that there. This plate at the top left is your bread plate”. From then on I just waited to see what she told Air to do before I did anything. ANYTHING. And it paid off.

It was hilarious.

table_setting

We probably should have thoroughly studied this diagram before dinner

Walking into her home was like stepping back into the 1950's. She has a beautiful and ginormous organ in her living room... only I don't think that was a standard thing in homes in the 50’s either.

20091202 sister nicole's (3) edit
I loved every minute of it

Laughing at the missionaries for showing up for dinner an hour late. Hearing Sister Nichol’s interesting life stories. Talking about the gospel and how important it is to her. Hearing her conversion story. Discussing music, family, missionary work. Accepting some really generous gifts. Writing in Sister Nichol's "guest book" (for real). We gathered around the piano and sang a hymn… which reminded me of my family growing up. We loved to sing together around the piano. Something that I miss doing quite a bit.

In seminary (did you think I'd have something else to talk about?) we've been talking about changing ourselves and becoming new creatures again and again throughout our lives. I've been trying to become a new creature, but I seemed to be stuck in a rut. I wanted to show my students that the gospel is precious and something to be passionate about and grateful for. I don't think that my example and teaching method were putting out that message as much as I wanted to. I think I've found a way out now, and I'm extremely happy about that.


I'm finding even more joy in teaching seminary now.

Thank you Sister Nichol.


.

2 comments:

mommaquincy said...

sounds like an interesting education in edicate and a refreshing new look at life. Thanks for sharing!

Missy said...

That is one cool organ! I love the keys that look like wood and the actual pipes. What fun.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...