Friday, December 18, 2009

.How Christmas totally redeemed itself

.
This Canadian winter
so far has been bitter cold. When I step outside I feel my eyeballs and my nose hairs instantly freezing. I don't think I've ever been anywhere so cold and dry. Last week everyone was talking about how low our temperatures in Edmonton had dropped and the fact that we were the coldest city anywhere in North America. Including the arctic! THE ARCTIC!

On top of that, we’ve been struggling over the decision of whether to make the drive down to Utah for Christmas and New Years to be with my friends and family there. We both want to go so badly. But we just decided earlier this week that we can’t make it. Not through this weather. Not with our financial situation. It can’t happen.

I was almost depressed…. {and it takes a lot to make me depressed}

20091218 Christmas decor (13) edit20091218 Christmas decor (8) edit
….until we put up all our Christmas decorations. How can anyone be depressed when surrounded by that Christmas glow?? You just can't. That's how.

I had a genius idea last week to have a talent show for our early morning seminary classes on the last day of school before Christmas. Which was this morning. I had this image in my mind of how awesome it would be to discover all of these kids hidden talents and gifts from God.
All I can say is: They didn’t disappoint. It was wonderful. Just absolutely wonderful. I even cried (the usual).

20091218 seminary talent show (2) edit20091218 seminary talent show (7) edit
Corey on saxophone. Shania and her mom play flutes.
20091218 seminary talent show (10) edit20091218 seminary talent show (14) edit
Shania on flute with Corey on saxophone and Abby on piano. Larissa sings while Melissa plays guitar.
20091218 seminary talent show (16) edit20091218 seminary talent show (18) edit
Melissa on guitar. Daniel with K'nex.
20091218 seminary talent show (20) edit20091218 seminary talent show (22) edit
Jared with sculptures. Grant on guitar.
20091218 seminary talent show (26) edit20091218 seminary talent show (25) edit
Boyd touches tongue to elbow. Grant eats with no hands.
20091218 seminary talent show (27) edit20091218 seminary talent show (29) edit
Charissa on piano. Riley talks like Donald Duck.

The only talent we didn't get a picture of was Emily touching her nose with her tongue.
A couple kids gave us Christmas gifts! This gift we’re opening (below) was a really pretty framed scripture about faith on glass from Riley and Rebecca, we got a yummy meat pie from Lizzy, a box of chocolates from Jacob and Sara, and Air got a really nice letter from Karissa.

We love our seminary kids so much!

20091218 seminary talent show (30) edit
Once again, I stand amazed at how much God has given us. Those kids don't even know how big of a gift they gave us just by sharing their talents today and showing up for classes every morning.
Christmas is going to be amazing.

And the temperature this weekend has gone up! Hopefully we can make use of all this snow!


.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Awwww, so sad you can't come home this year! You'll have fun with your own Christmas though, it's a toss up which I like better on our own or with the big family Christmas morning. I'm sure you'll make it great together!
By the way, have a cmas card addressed to you but haven't mailed it yet because I can't decide whether to add another stamp.... advice?

mommaquincy said...

It sounds like staying home is the responsible thing to do! I'm impressed that so many kids shared talents! Nice work you two!

Jo said...

Aw you guys are so freakin cute, i love reading your blog.

Your living room looks so warm & cozy!
Can you belive Christmas is in a few days? what happened to this year?!?!

Nikki said...

Aren't Christmas decorations wonderful? I'm glad they helped to cheer you up. Also glad the talent show when well. You are so lucky to have the calling that you do (although I do love mine too).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...