Monday, July 6, 2009

.my Mom, not your Mom

This Saturday (July 4th) my amazing Mother ran her very first 5k race. Something that I've not yet ventured. She took first place, although she was the only person in her division (age 60-64). She ran the entire time without stopping or walking.

To some this might not seem like a great feat. You may be thinking 'What, 3 miles? I could do that in my sleep.'

But to me it's been absolutely incredible to see her, and the way she's turned her life around since she was diagnosed with pre-diabetes a few years ago.
She immediately changed her diet and dropped pound after pound. She eventually started to walk on the treadmill. Walking turned into running, until now she runs almost 3 miles every day!
I truly admire her so much.

Here she is with my sister Gwen at the 4th of July race in 2003 (the year I graduated HS).
Photobucket

And here she is now (note that she is ahead of that seemingly very fit lady in grey)
Photobucket

and with my brother Tyler

laura ty

What an inspiration, right!
I'm fairly certain that my mom weighs less than me now. (Hmm.... on second thought, I hate this stinkin' race!)

I can't be too sure, but I think my Mom is pretty happy these days.
Photobucket


And she deserves it.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Wow! She can run like 3 times more than I can!

Erika Ellis said...

That is awesome! I love the before and after photos....she looks great!

mommaquincy said...

I guess we'd all better start running or she's going to leave us behind in the dust! I love seeing all of the people she is ahead of!

Jessica said...

Go Laura GOOOOOO!!! What an accomplishment.

Laura Leary said...

Awwww. Thanks for the comments. I really came in 203rd in the race. Elisa, Missy, and Jason were Waaaaay ahead of me! -Amber's Mamma

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...