Friday, May 17, 2013

.project six: doors and knobs

20120501 reno (4) edit
(don't mind how crazy I look in this pic)

Way back in May of last year, Air's kind kind Mother came over every day for a week to help me paint all of the yucky stained and yellow doors white. We collected all the doors together in the basement and got to work painting them one at a time... They have looked amazing ever since!

20120503 reno (3) edit

Then the doorknobs are a project I did myself. I copied my talented, crafty, smart, accomplished cousin Jessica who did the same thing for the same reasons.

Gold doorknobs are not pretty. New doorknobs are expensive.

20130410 doorknobs (4) edit20130410 doorknobs (7) edit

I had nothing to lose.

The entire time I was painting these I had a look on my face like I was playing some sort of guessing game. I had no idea how it would turn out... but once again--I had nothing to lose!

First, I prepared an area in my basement to paint in... Covered everything in cardboard and plastic.

20130410 doorknobs (9) edit

Then I got a big box and poked holes in it for all the knobs, plates, and screws.

I used this awesome black Rustoleum spray paint.

20130410 doorknobs (6) edit

Sprayed my first layer very thin then waited a day.

20130410 doorknobs (17) edit

Sprayed my second layer a little thicker (I'm impatient) and waited another day.

20130411 doorknobs 2nd coat (2) edit

Last coat I was really impatient and sprayed it real thick--trying to make sure I got all of the nooks (they aren't perfect but who even cares?)

20130412 doorknobs done (6) edit

After another 24 hours they were ready—and they turned out great. Not perfect by any means, but better than bright shiny gold.

BY THE WAY, I probably should have done this outside or in the garage... but the paint said it should be over 10° C and I couldn't wait any longer for flippin' summer to come! Anyway, I opened the windows and turned on all the fans and the fumes seemed to disperse? A little? (our whole house stunk for weeks)

20130416 knobs done (2) edit20130517 doors (2) edit

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...