Wednesday, September 28, 2011

.about the cake

20110924 mom's 50th (5) edit2

Did you see the cake from my last post?

Well, I made it.

It was really really easy.

And I loved how it turned out!

20110924 mom's 50th (2) edit2


Here's how I did it:

First, I baked two 9x13 cakes. I had a white mix and a devil’s food mix and layered them. I put the white on top since it’s much lighter.

I made a buttercream frosting this time. Recipe found here.

Then I spread a thin crumb layer over the whole thing. Just to hold it together and cover up the color of the cake with white.

20110924 mom's 50th (10) edit2

I put my trusty 1M tip in a bag. No coupler since I don’t have one big enough.

The rest is easy.

Start going around the sides of the cake making rosettes.

20110924 mom's 50th (8) edit2

Put your tip in the middle of where you want it to be and just pull it around. Going in one direction for all of them.

There’s so much room for error with these. They look good no matter how lazy you are.

I totally rushed through this, and nobody would ever guess. Unless you did, then I don’t know…

20110924 mom's 50th (12) edit2

And then the top…

20110924 mom's 50th (16) edit2

This is the point where I actually ran out of frosting and had a panic attack. I had to scrape all of the rosettes back off the top and make them a lot thinner and spread out. Kinda crappy!

But again, you CAN’T screw this up!

20110924 mom's 50th (17) edit2

It ended up looking fine. If I’d had extra frosting, I definitely would have gone over all of the little gaps where you see the crumb layer and filled them in a bit.

Anyway, it looked beautiful with candles and sparklers on it while we sang!

20110924 mom's 50th (82) edit220110924 mom's 50th (78) edit3

And the raspberry/buttercream filling was to die for.

I just mixed raspberry jam with some of the buttercream frosting (this is probably why I ran out of frosting. next time I’ll make a lot less filling).

20110924 mom's 50th (91) edit220110924 mom's 50th (90) edit2


And Wha-La! An excellent cake for your Mother-in-law's 50th Birthday party!


P.S. Mom! Thank you so much for the mixer (seen in the first picture)! Still works like a charm after all these years.


6 comments:

Linda said...

Amber, I love this! I have been planning on making Mia a cake like this for her birthday. Guess I will have to wait for February.

cc said...

Great job!! I love it:)

Nikki said...

It looks so good, you did a great job!

Jessica said...

Well done! You make it sound so easy... but I'm not so sure that we're all as talented as you. :) That filling sounds so good right now, I could go for some.

mommaquincy said...

Very nice! You are so good at explaining!

Anonymous said...

Amber,

For the life of me I cannot for some reason put a comment on your blog, I do not have the computer skills your good husband has, but this is what I tried to put on there.

"What an awesome cake, and it tasted just as good as it looked, to bad we had to wreck the masterpiece but we all the taste buds agreed it was well worth it!"

Thanks again Amber for all your help to make it such a great success, couldn't have done it without cha

Love

Papa Goose

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...