Thursday, October 20, 2016

.I'm Canadian... officially


I immigrated to Canada as a newlywed in 2008. We drove our little white Toyota Camry packed to the ceiling with my things across the border one day. At the time, I had never expected to be living away from my family again after I had already lived in Illinois for three long years working as a nanny for my sister. I was telling myself (and everyone else) that it would just be for a little while. Only a year or two in Canada. I could handle that thought. It was a little scary and I didn't know what to expect the rest of our life to be like.

I was scared to pay for things with Canadian money... it looked different. I didn't know what all these weird stores and restaurants were... Canadian Tire? Superstore? Earls? Tim Hortons?

It didn't take too long before I started to realized that Canada is not very different from the States AT ALL... Plus I made friends and I got to know my in-laws better.

After 8 years here and 1 full year since I became a citizen I am happy to report that I am fully comfortable, immigrated, at-home, and thriving in the Great White North.

Thank goodness, because otherwise this would be really awkward.

Independence Day 2008
Canada Day 2009
Canada Day 2010
Canada Day 2011
Canada Day 2012
Canada Day 2013
Canada Day 2014
Canada Day 2015
Canada Day 2016

These years of my life I've been more blessed than I've ever been before. I've always had such amazing luck with such a great family and friends; but the moment I married Air, my luck doubled and overflowed. And life has never been better. I have more incredible family members now than I even know what to do with.

Seriously though--What do I do with all of them?? What!?

How can I be so lucky? It's bewildering. I know I couldn't have done anything to deserve these people in my life.


Air's family is just as dear to me as my own. Ever since I've been here they've been incredibly kind and loving to me. They are the kindest people in the world for taking me in like they have. I immediately felt like I was one of them, and instantly fell in love. I can't even tell you how much they mean to me...

I'll always be an American... but I am so glad I also get to be a Canadian!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...