Saturday, October 19, 2013

.our tree

20131009 spring snow tree (28) edit

It happened all at once this spring as I was sitting on a folding chair on our back deck. I was staring at the annoying piles of pine needles that fall from the pine trees behind our back fence. Would it be so bad if I chopped those dang pine trees down one day? Anyway, I suddenly had the realization that we didn't have A SINGLE TREE on our property? How had I never noticed this before? How can anyone stand to have a yard with no trees? So, even though we aren't planning on working on our yard until next year (we've got too much to do indoors first) I couldn't wait any longer to get a tree growing out there.

Here is our front yard before the tree (the flags and paint marks in the grass are where the water and gas lines are):

20130927 building frame (14) edit

Our friend Tim offered to help dig one night in exchange for Air helping out with the youth temple trip… making for a late night of digging. In the rain. Awkward.

I was so grateful for their hard work I made them victory nachos.

20131001 gravediggers (5) edit 20131001 gravediggers (8) edit

This is the beautiful hole they dug. 4 feet wide, 2 feet deep. It rained and rained and unfortunately the tree nursery was CLOSED the next day, so we couldn't go pick up our tree until a few days later.

20131002 tree hole (4) edit

Our friend Dan was so nice to let us use his truck and come help us unload the tree. I gave him cookies.

20131004 new tree (7) edit

Here comes our tree… Eek!

20131004 new tree (18) edit 20131004 new tree (26) edit

Here it is after we plopped it into the hole. Perfect fit.

20131004 new tree (35) edit

And then we packed the soil all in and watered it.

20131004 new tree (58) edit

I even saved the old grass and put it back over the dirt.

And here she is!

20131009 spring snow tree (4) edit

The most beautiful, perfect little tree you've ever seen. A 2.5 caliper fruitless Spring Snow Crabapple.

These leaves turned yellow and fell off the tree the day after I took these pictures. Woah.

20131009 spring snow tree (14) edit20131009 spring snow tree (22) edit

2 comments:

mommaquincy said...

I hope your tree does well!

Tyler said...

Water it through the first winter if you have a week or two with no rain or snow.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...